Tuesday 13 January 2009

The Graveyard Book


At the weekend, I finished reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I spent ages with this book!

When that happens, when I seem to be in the process of reading a book forever and ever... it is because it is good, good, good!!! I am enjoying the world, the characters, the story, and the writing so much that I want to stay there as long as possible. (And I do have a penchant for restricted locations -- a graveyard is perfect -- as well as a penchant for ghosts.)

Such a book feeds me with something that is greater than the sum of its parts; it makes a difference, enriches me -- leaves its mark. And, as a novice novelist, by taking time with a book, as well as being entertained, I am learning.

The Graveyard Book has made a difference to my own writing in the last few weeks. There was a great sense of both joy and calm in the way Neil Gaiman told this story, and I learned the value of sometimes slowing things down.

Now, of course, I am addicted to his blog.

A fabulous start to the reading year!

9 comments:

Fox Lee said...

Neat : )

Mary said...

Thanks, Natalie. :)

Carrie Harris said...

The pacing is a really going point. And I agree about his blog. It's fabulous, isn't it?

Alycia said...

I like horror stories, also. Not sure if I could ever write oner. I'm more into writing for kids and young adults.

Barrie said...

thanks for the review and the link!

Mary said...

Carrie - yes! The tone of his blog is so friendly and relaxed. (I was a bit worried, though, about Cabal’s post-operative condition, and am pleased he and Neil are heading south.)

Alycia - kids and young adults like horror stories too. ;) But you’re absolutely right: what we read and what we write can often be quite different.

Barrie - you’re welcome!

Anonymous said...

Oh, good! I liked that one, too. I listened to it on audio. He reads it himself, in his melted-caramel voice. *swoon* The reading only added to the pleasure.

Anonymous said...

Oh, good! I liked that one, too. I listened to it on audio. He reads it himself, in his melted-caramel voice. *swoon* The reading only added to the pleasure.

Mary said...

Caryn - yes, indeed. Doesn’t he read well? Such a talented guy!